Wednesday, August 20, 2008

RIP "uncle" Rob

One of my dad's friends died last week. He lived in one of the trailers behind my grandparents' (later parents') house. I'm not not sure how they met, but I met him when I was 7(ish.) He was a talented musician and tried his best to have a good attitude about life. He was incredibly clumsy :) (one time we went to Fiesta Texas and he ran into a countless number of trashcans.) He suffered through a 10+ year battle with drugs.

I remember
-spending summer nights seeing you play at The Blind Salamander (now the River Pub in San Marcos) where you let me have a beer can-rice shaker and be your rhythm section (my mom stopped me b/c I was terrible)

-and at The Grist Mill where you were the one man band with a guitar in your hands, a box at your feet rigged to be a "drum" and a harmonica around your neck

-sitting at either your house or Nana and Popo's house while you played guitar or joked around with my family

-you and Dana having your wedding in my grandparents' front yard!

-parties at Lake Lester :)

-you encouraging me to sing by letting be try out backup vocals while you were performing(yet again, I was terrible lol)

-you obviously LOVED my family and you were like an uncle to me

I don't understand why you went through so many problems these past several years but I missed you. It was easy to see that you were in pain and we tried to help you but just didn't know how to pull you out of the pit. I'm glad that your worldly struggles are over. I hope that the salvation experience you had was really you experiencing God and that you're now at home with Jesus.

No comments: