The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
I've had this book on my shelf since 2005. As soon as I finished it, I realized it was borrowed... sorry if you missed it. I'm returning it ASAP!
The book is Corrie ten Boom's autobiography. (Two other people co-authored with her; is it still considered an autobiography?) The main part of the story is set when she was in her 50's, during WWII. Corrie was involved with an underground network that protected Jewish people; she found homes for people, made sure they were fed and housed some. She ended up being arrested by the Nazis and was given amazing opportunities to work for God during her imprisonment.
This account taught me about living as a Christian in light of:
-contentment: she was single and took care of her family their whole lives (she was the youngest and died last.) She also lived a very simple life.
-God's provision, providence/sovereignty & protection- some of the things she got away with in the prisons and concentration camps was undeniably of God. Yes, everything is of God, but the way certain things happened in the book leaves little room for doubt as to who was taking care of Corrie and her sister.
I highly recommend this book. It is a quick read at about 250 pages. Once you get into it, it's hard to put down.
No comments:
Post a Comment