For about a year and a half now, I have been reading about people getting really great deals from drugstores by combining store deals with coupons. I've given in... here's my stab at it:
I'm not sure if all this will work for us, but I wanted to try it out for a while. The person who has me interested in it says to try it out for about 6 weeks and by then you should be able to get good deals. It works out b/c if you buy certain things you'll earn store money. In turn, you use the store money to earn more store money.
I forgot one of her rules though. She says to start out small and try to buy only a few items in the beginning while you build up your "store money" and learn the system. I spent more than I meant to because I got so wrapped up in stacking coupons. :) (Stacking coupons means you have multiple coupons for the same item.) She also warns to give yourself a dollar and time limit.
Another catch: you have to be willing to buy things 3-6 months in advance.
CVS
Cascade dishwasher tabs- I usually pay about $4-$4.50 for these at HEB or WalMart. I got them for $2.99 by combining a store sale and a coupon.
Swiffer- I've been wanting one to help control the dog hair. I have no idea how much they cost at HEB, but I got it for $9 plus got a pack of refill cloths free with a coupon.
I paid just a bit less than normal for 4 other items.
My total was $21.62. According to CVS, I saved $15.26.
Walgreens
Progresso soup- I usually pay $1.50 for these. They were on sale 4/$5. I had a coupon for $1.10. So they ended up being $.97 a piece.
Cereal- I got Alex's cereal for $.33 less than normal.
Pepsi- Alex's soda for $3.64 per 12pack. I usually buy them on sale at about this price.
Razors- 12 for $.99 with a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon.
Cleaning products- on sale 2/$7 then I added a $2 coupon and a $2.20 rebate should come in March. So, they were 2/$3.80.
I buy these items so infrequently that I don't know if I got a good price or not. :) not to say I clean infrequently. I use vinegar or soapy water for most cleaning.
I got a few other deals and it's sad to say, but with everything, I spent $40 at Walgreen's. I got $1 in Register Rewards (store money.) According to Walgreen's, I saved $39.91.
Final Thoughts:
It's money I would have spent on the same items anyway (assuming I'll be here for the rest of the month.) I plan on trying again, but feel like I'm storing up treasures on earth when I do all this buying ahead in order to save. Another (smaller) part of me thinks it might be good stewardship. The lady who turned me on to all of this has been right on in every other area of life, so I'm still praying over it. This might not even save us money in the end because I usually buy the HEB brand item or choose the simpler thing (ex. vinegar and water instead of 409.)
Did you notice that I ended up with only $1 in store money? Well, the rebate from Walgreen's will be more store money, so $2.20. I'll follow the rules better next week. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment