Wednesday, January 28, 2009

FYI: Unlikely Savings

If you bank through a credit union, you can probably get some discounts on your non-banking purchases.

I've been with Sprint since 2001 and with my credit union since the same summer. (Not because I love sprint so much, I just figure all phone companies are terrible so stick with them. I have had my fair share of disputes with Sprint.)

Sprint gave me a $10 discount on my monthly bill just because I mentioned where I bank! I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out. :)

(This is where you can do the math of how much I could have saved just last year. It's the same as two weeks of groceries or a student loan payment or... I could go on and on.)

I also used to get a discount at the local car dealerships b/c of my bank. I would get my oil changed for cheap and got a percentage off of parts.

If you don't have an account at a credit union, I recommend it 1) for the discounts and 2) their interests rates are a little better than the big guys.

No comments: