Friday, January 29, 2010

Little Victories

When President Bush gave out stimulus checks in 2008, we bought three things

1) a set of whole foods cookbooks I'd been wanting (go figure. me? want books!?)
2) a new tv
3) the Financial Peace University kit by Dave Ramsey

This post is mainly about the third item I bought. One of the first assignments in the Dave Ramsey course is to make a budget, which I've done about 12 out of the 20 months since I first went through the course. Out of those 12 times I forgot about the budget within a week of making it. I had it in the back of my mind every month, but never went back to make sure I had followed it exactly.

I'm so excited (how nerdy!) to say I've followed and stuck to my budget this whole month! This is mainly b/c I found a website that helps me visualize it all better. I've always hand written my budgets and kept them in a planning binder. I (obviously) like the internet, so adding a computerized component to the budget has worked for me.

I can tell it helped us. We talked about the budget much more this month & that helped us change our spending behaviors.

If you have never read or listened to Dave Ramsey, this is one thing I think you should see and try to understand: compound interest

No comments: