
I have a TON of books from Christmas. (Thanks to my family!) The blog linked above encouraged me to make a reading plan for the year. My plan is to read four books a month. Here are the categories I set for myself:
1. relational- marriage, parenting, ect.
2. kingdom- theology, missionary stories, & Bible related works
3. learning- teaching, cooking, & other homemaking skills
4. fun
January Books
1. relational- I started to reread a book from our premarital counseling. It was a bit boring to me b/c it's all old news now. I guess I should be happy I have "grown out" of that particular book. Don't get me wrong: I can still benefit from most marriage books, just not this one at this time.
2. kingdom- Big Truths for Young Hearts This has been great for helping me know how to phrase biblical concepts to the little ones I teach. The book is intended for teaching kids 9 and up, so I am modifying it for 5 year olds. It takes big theological ideas and explains them on a kid's level. It's even helpful in my own study and growth. It's so heavy, that I'm actually still working my way through it a month later.
review of this book
3. learning- Financial Peace This is another book I reread. I only read the chapters that apply to us at this time. This book helped with a needed kick in the rear to get back on track with our financial plans.
4. fun-In Faithfulness, He Afflicted Me This book wasn't exactly "fun." It is a Christian mom's account of having 3 of her 9 children die. It came highly recommended to me. I picked it out to help me know how to help people when it comes up in Alex's work. This book ministered to me & I recommend it to any mom or person who hopes to be a mom someday.
3 comments:
That's the second time I've seen Financial Peace from Bookin' It. Need to pick that one up.
-Leslie
:)
It has really helped us focus ourselves and live life more purposefully. The ideas in the book are things that are common sense to my grandparents, but our culture has lead us to a place where most people spend their money (and time and resources and...) frivolously.
It was the only book my youth minister recommended to me for pre-marital counseling. (Given he knew we knew the ultimate authority for a Christian's life is the Bible and NOT Dave Ramsey :) )
The author of In Faithfulness He Afflicted Me has a blog. We crossed paths last year. Balled at just a few blog posts. Wow.
Post a Comment