Saturday, March 7, 2009

YEA!

I got up early this morning because I was so excited to get started on my garden. (I went to bed at 3ish and woke up at 7:30. That sounds excited to me.)

Lowe's offers to cut the wood you buy from them. Two cuts are free and additional cuts are a quarter. So I bought two 10 foot boards and had them cut into thirds. (The trip to Lowe's was actually on Thursday.) I screwed together 4 pieces of wood to make a frame.

This is when I realized that termites are going to be attracted to my box. I freaked out and started researching. It seems that there's not much I can do because even the weeds growing in my yard are appealing to termites. The main recommendation was to keep your garden several feet from the house. Apparently plant roots, water, dirt, and wood are all favorites of termites.

Next, I went to HEB Plus and bought a spade, hose, dirt, and a few plants.

I tried to double dig the ground, but it was too difficult. We have very dense soil. I got about one spade's length down instead of two like I was hoping. I found SEVERAL weeds. The majority of my day was spent getting the weeds out of my small garden space.

After that was taken care of, I added the soil I bought to the soil I loosened. Somehow it looked like I had the same amount of soil that I started with. I put in 4 bags of dirt! So I put my wooden frame on top of my dirt to see how things were going and sure enough, I needed more dirt. So I went Lowe's and got 3 more bags of dirt.

I filled the square in with the rest of the dirt, then hammered in my dividers. My garden is divided into roughly 3 foot sections. I planted 16 red onion thingys (they aren't seeds) because the package says to space them 1 inch apart and I didn't want as many onion plants as could fit. So I made 4 rows of 4 onions in 1 square foot of my garden.

That was my big day. I'm very excited. I hope things work out.

My goals for tomorrow: Finish planting at least 3 more square feet. Weed further around the perimeter of the box. Post pictures of my work.

No comments: