I made jalapeno jelly today. It is DELICIOUS! I made it with Alex and my parents in mind. I figured I would not eat a bite, but I gave in and you know the rest :)
It is really easy to make and is not all that spicy. Well, I guess you could make it that way if you wanted. I took out all the seeds and ribs. The recipe is very similar to the strawberry lemonade.
-prep jalapenos
-puree jalapenos and 1 cup cider vinegar
-boil puree with another cup of vinegar and 6 cups sugar
-add in pectin
-put it in a jar
To be able to store it on the shelf, you have to boil it in a water bath for 10 minutes.
I forgot to mention in my last post that I thought the discovery kit was not worthwhile, but the canning utensil kit has been totally useful. The discovery kit included 3 jars, a canning rack, and instructions. The rack does not fit in any of my pots, so I've improvised with what I had on hand to keep the jars where they should be while they are in the boiling water. The instructions are all online. The jars are sold for about $0.50 a piece at wally world.
I plan on crunching numbers to see how this canning stuff compares to buying it in the store. I'll post my findings to let you know.
1 comment:
Thanks. It's all gone already. I took a jar to church and everyone really liked it.
Post a Comment