Friday, July 30, 2010

Canning- $?

In my prior canning post, I mentioned crunching the numbers to see if canning your own food is more frugal than getting  it from the store. Well, these numbers are all according to what I remember b/c I seem to have misplaced all my receipts.


Beginning Stuff
Discovery Kit $8
Utensil Kit $7

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate
Strawberries- $1.76 - it was a really good sale
Lemon Juice- $2.76
1/2 pint Jars- $3 (I already had the pint jars, so that cost is not included)
6 cups Sugar- $0.88
Total - $8.40 divided into 8 portions (each portion makes a pitcher) =$1.05

A can of juice concentrate from the freezer section of HEB cost between $0.75 & $2. I think the cost is worthwhile. Look at the ingredient list! It's way simpler than what comes from the freezer. I know some of you would have issues with the white sugar, but all the recipes I've found include white sugar.

Jalapeno Jelly
Jalapenos- $0.60 (half were from a friend's garden)
6 cups Sugar- $0.88
1/2 pint Jars- $2.50
Liquid Fruit Pectin- $2
Cider Vinegar- $1
Total- $6.98 divided into 6 portions = $1.16

I don't buy much jelly. To my best recollection jelly cost $1-$4. Those fancy jellies you get in Gruene or Fredricksberg cost even more. This recipe is a bargain.

No comments: