Thursday, July 1, 2010

Books I'm Reading- June

Treasures of the Snow- I'm reading this b/c my class will read it in the upcoming school year.
This is a fictional story that explains forgiveness on a child's level. It also gives an example of Romans 12:2, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

It was engaging for me even though it is meant for a child. The beginning was a bit dark and I wondered why anyone would recommend this book for spiritual growth. About half-way through it really changed and I understood. I'm excited to use it this year to see what conversations and challenges it brings to my class.




On the Banks of Plum Creek- I can't remember reading through this series, so one of my goals this year is to get through the Little House books.













Star of Light- This is another book my class will read.

This story will be great to get the kids to think about ministering to those that are less fortunate than us. The story is set in Africa and starts with a family of 3 kids whose father recently died. The youngest child was born blind and her step father wanted to sell her because she was of no value to him. Like the other Patricia St. John book, it started off really dark, but it is a redemption story and ends well.

The part I like best is that the main character, a child, ... I hate to give away the ending so I'll be vague... sacrifices his desires to tell others about Jesus.

No comments: